The land trust’s annual events include hikes, lectures, property cleanups, our annual meeting, and events with other organizations. Our photo gallery will be updated regularly with highlights from some of these events.
- November 19, 2022: Cross Lots Cleanup
- November 18, 2022: Osage Trails Cleanup
- November 5, 2022: Falls River Park Cleanup
- October 29, 2022: Falls River Preserve Hike
- October 15, 2022: Meet the Board
- September 15, 2022: Fern Ledge Hike
- August 13, 2022: Kayak Essex's North and Falls River Cove
- July 9, 2022: Kayak Around Nott Island
- July 4, 2022: Ivoryton 4th of July Parade
- June 25, 2022: Concert & BYO Picnic
- June 4, 2022: The Millrace Walk & Talk
- May 23, 2022: VRHS Community Service Day
- May 21, 2022: Canfield Meadow Woods Tree ID Hike with Bob Kuchta
- May 19, 2022: Essex Land Trust Annual Meeting
- May 10, 2022: Planting of American Chestnut nuts at Cross Lots
- April 23, 2022: Invasives Talk/Hike with Judy Preston
- March 26, 2022: James Glen, Doanes' Woods, Woodja Hill Hike
- December 4, 2021: Geology Hike at Canfield-Meadow Woods
- November 20, 2021: Falls River Park Fall Cleanup
- November 13, 2021: Osage Trails Fall Cleanup
- November 6, 2021: Cross Lots Fall Cleanup
- June 12, 2021: Thatchbed Island-South Cove Kayak-Canoe Event
- June 12, 2021: Annual Picnic Concert at Essex Main Street Park
- May 22, 2021: Essex Land Trust Annual Meeting at Cross Lots
- June 4, 2021: Setting up new event tent
- June 5, 2021: Stewards Appreciation Event at Cross Lots
- March 27, 2021: Vernal Pool Hike in The Preserve
Taking advantage of unseasonably mild weather, some 20 dedicated volunteers made light work of cleaning up this Ivoryton land trust park in record time (less than an hour and a half). Refreshment of donuts, coffee, and cider replenished energy as we prepare for next week’s cleanup planned for Osage Trails on Foxboro Road, Essex.
Falls River Preserve Steward John Matthiessen lead 19 participants in a leisurely stroll of this 40-acre preserve. A nearby resident provided refreshments after the hike.
A dozen participants joined Essex Land Trust board members at Osage Trails at its Meet & Greet event held on a beautiful sunny Fall saturday afternoon. We were able to discuss volunteer opportunities and answer questions in a relaxed informal atmosphere. With refreshments of apple cider, donuts and pumpkin squares, the afternoon was also punctuated with flybys of Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Osprey, and Bald Eagles on Falls River Cove.
An intrepid group of 35 hikers explored the expanded Fern Ledge Preserve, climbing up the steep slope, noticing the extensive Christmas fern beds, and reaching the top of the preserve part of Farm Hill estates. The slightly more than one mile hike was followed by many quenching their thirst at the Surfbridge Brewery, next to the Essex Steam Train station.